Vintage table makeover

image
●Before●
When finding amazing treasures like this one I found today try not to look at them in two pieces but look at it as a whole! I was over the moon when I found this coffee table for free!! I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. I really haven’t worked with separate pieces before so it was a learning experience and it was sooooooo fun! First, I started with the table top and knew I had to mend the cracks in between the table. I wanted to go for a barn wood look so I didn’t mind if the cracks came completely back together. I used some gorilla glue and I didn’t have any clamps soooooo I used my vacuum and set it on the table to dry and hold into place!! Yes… I said vacuum. Haha come on we got to do what ever we can! While the glue was drying I got to painting the legs of the table. Since the table top was going to be pretty rustic looking, I wanted to keep the legs very crisp and clean! I sanded the legs down to insure the paint would adhere and I began!!! There’s really nothing more uncomfortable than painting in the summer in California in your garage!!! I was dripping sweat and had to take many breaks and lots of ice tea and popsicles with my three year old! The baby was taking a nap inside so I had about 2 hours to do this! I work very fast and dilgently under pressure! I actually like it. I know im weird. Back to the project.  So I gave the legs about three coats of white paint

image

It really turned out gorgeous and I loved how pretty the white was!! A total transformation was happening. Very farm tastic if I don’t say so myself. The paint I used was a complete primer and seal in one and dries In one hour! I then glued the top to the frame and waited for that to dry. I think with a mixture of my impatience and it being so hot everything was drying really quickly!!! I began sanding the top of the table. To give it a rustic barn wood look I distressed it unevenly and a lot on the sides and corners. You will see why In a second. I also used 2 different stain colors. I will list all of these at the end. I began with the summer Walnut and then went in with dark walnut.

image

This is a before with no stain at all!

image

This is after with the two different stains. The dark Walnut really soaked into the heavily distressed areas and the light walnut blended nicely towards the middle part.
So here’s the list of items I used.
•Bulls eye water base in white
• rust oleum wood stain in summer oak
• mini wax wood finish in dark Walnut 2716
• sand paper fine
•elmers wood glue
•bulls eye shellac In clear finish and sealer

image

image

image

P

Rachel Bousquet

Please feel free to share this post!