The best Psoriasis Shampoo can help you to solve your Psoriasis problem. So, what is scalp psoriasis? What causes it? Which kind of shampoo that you can use and the side effect using it? You can get all your answer here. This article will cover the answer one by one.
Scalp psoriasis is a skin infection that is commonly happening. It is not contagious so you won’t catch scalp psoriasis from another person. It is a skin condition where skin cells grow too quickly and end up piling up on your scalp.
These pile up is in reddish and scaly patches. They can be in a single patch, several patches, or even these red patches cover the entire scalp. The patches can spread till your forehead or the back of your neck, some even spread till behind and inside of ears.
This is what makes it unsightly. It is also itchy and painfully sores since your skin is going to be flaky and dry. The cause of this skin condition is still not fully known. Doctors and experts believe that the cause is because of overproduction of skin cells by the immune systems that send the wrong signals to the body to cause the cells to multiply too quickly.
Symptoms and Effect of Scalp Psoriasis
Even though scalp psoriasis doesn’t cause extreme hair fall, you still need to know about the symptoms. Here are some common symptoms that show you have this skin condition;
Red and white patches
The most common symptom is when you have red patches that are thick and swollen with silvery white scales on top of them. This can cause bleeding as they are easy to be knocked off with the comb or when you wash your hair.
Dry and flaky scalp
Since the skin cells grow too fast, they tend to pile up and dried your skin. They can flake off which look like dandruff but in fact, they are actually silvery sheen and dry scales.
Itchiness and burning sensation
If you have psoriasis on your scalp, then prepare for the non-stop intense itchiness. No matter how bad it gets, you shouldn’t scratch your scalp since you will risk bleeding the skin. Some people will feel like burning sensation, makes it tougher for having scalp psoriasis. To soothe the itchiness or the burning sensation, you can use the ice pack to cool down the itch and the burning feeling.
There are also some effects that are caused by the scalp psoriasis.
- The obvious one is that scalp psoriasis will cause your scalp skin to get irritated with red bumps all over the place with an unpleasant sensation, like itchiness and burning feeling.
- Even though scalp psoriasis is not causing extreme hair loss, you still end up with hair fall problem since the hair follicles are infected as well.
- Another unpleasant effect caused by scalp psoriasis is that you will have more major dandruff problem than someone who has a normal scalp.
The Ingredients of Scalp Psoriasis Shampoo
Before buying a product, it is better if you read the ingredients at the back of its cover. Purchasing shampoo for scalp psoriasis also needs a closer look at the ingredients. You can know if that is the right shampoo for your scalp or not. Do not just follow the trend or what your friends use.
You can consult with your doctors first before deciding to buy a psoriasis shampoo. So, in order to find the best psoriasis shampoo, you have to be thorough. Here are some ingredients in shampoo that you need to know.
The benefits of a proper pH balance for your body are so many. Your skin needs proper pH or else you will face a wide array of skin problems. pH at 5.5 level is the magic number that can do wonder to your skin. Any product with pH a 5.5 is being carefully balanced to meet the correct level and give the maximum benefit for your skin.
Choosing a shampoo that has pH at 5.5 is important. As what we have stated before, it is the proper pH level that you will need to be able to have healthier skin. A 5.5 pH is acidic which is crucial in balancing your skin cells growth rate and prevent bacteria from spreading, that later will act as the shooting balm to the painful and irritating effects that psoriasis causes.
Natural and Healthy Oils
Another thing to look at is that the shampoo has natural oils, like those argan or coconut oils, which are great to use for scalp care. Not only that the oils will help shooting the irritation caused by psoriasis, they can also help to help strengthen your hair and make it looks healthy.
Coal Tar and Salicylic Acid
Coal tar and salicylic acid is another thing that you have to look into. They will work together to remove or peel off the dead skin. Coal tar will also help to prevent the dead skin building up on each other. Salicylic acid works as a moisturizer for your skin to prevent the dead skin come back again and again.
Can be Used on Other Body Areas
Another thing that you need to consider is that the shampoo should be able to be used on your other body parts, especially for those who have psoriasis problem that spread throughout the back of their neck or ears. The shampoo should be able to help relieve the itchiness and burning sensation. Keep in mind that not all of the psoriasis shampoos can be used on other body areas.
The Best Shampoo for Psoriasis – Our Top Picks
After you have known what to look for in a shampoo to help with your psoriasis problem, now, let’s take a look at the best psoriasis shampoo you can find on the market. We hope you can find one that fits your needs and condition. Check these following products.
#1. Neutrogena T/Gel Theraupic Shampoo
Psoriasis can cause intense itchiness on your scalp. You will not be able to stop yourself from scratching your head and will bleed the scalp area that infected by psoriasis. If you want to look for a shampoo that can help you with your itchiness problem, this Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo is the right one for you.
This shampoo comes in a 16-ounce bottle that is good for everyday use and able to still last long. The shampoo contains an amber formula that is effective in helping to hydrate your hair. Another helpful ingredient is coal tar that helps to relieve the irritation. There is also a cooling menthol that will increase the blood flow in your scalp as well as soothing the itchiness on your scalp.
Those ingredients can treat three major skin conditions (dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, and psoriasis) greatly. The shampoo’s active ingredients said to be able to work even after having been washed out in the shower.
- Effective treatment for dandruff, psoriasis, and seborrhea dermatitis.
- Works even after rinsing off the shampoo.
- Works for daily treatment.
- The smell is not nice.
- Cause hair loss and possible creating frizzy hair.
See also: Best Hypo-Allergenic Shampoos
#2. MG217 Psoriasis Medicated Conditioning Shampoo
Based on the shampoo bottle label, this shampoo is made with 3% coal tar that is good to slow down the skin cells growth from growing too quickly on your scalp. The MG217 Shampoo is a product that focuses on fighting irritation, itching, dandruff, scaling, and redness on your scalp. It also prevents those skin conditions from coming back.
The shampoo is also a good soothing balm to lessen the itchiness intensity and reduce the scaling. Even though the shampoo has strong formulation, the shampoo doesn’t cause a burning sensation in the scalp when or after the shampoo use.
- Can treat major skin conditions (irritation, itching, dandruff, scaling, and redness) with using only one product.
- Effective in preventing psoriasis from recurring.
- Doesn’t cause any burning sensation.
- Even though it can treat itchiness and flakiness, the shampoo can’t get rid of them 100%.
- The shampoo can make your hair to feel oily.
- The smell is not as good as the effect.
#3. Honeyskin Organics Gentle Restorative Shampoo
This is one of the best psoriasis shampoo products on the market. It contains many helpful ingredients that are natural, like Manuka Honey (it is very effective in removing bacteria and strengthening your hair follicles as well), aloe vera, citrus (orange zest), and coconut oil.
The shampoo also contains Australian Cehami that works to moisture your hair to makes your hair healthy. Those ingredients are formulated with a 5.5 pH balance, which is the perfect pH balance to help to produce natural oils and creating healthy skin.
- Has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that come from natural sources.
- Strengthening the hair follicles to help to prevent hair fall caused by psoriasis.
- Sulfate and paraben free.
- Has pleasant smell, a citrusy aroma that comes from orange zest.
- It is pretty expensive compared to other shampoos.
- Creating a clumpy or oily hair near the scalp.
- You have to use the shampoo more than usual shampoo since it doesn’t lather well.
See also: Best DHT Blocker Shampoo
#4. Dermarest Psoriasis Medicated Shampoo plus Conditioner
This shampoo contains salicylic acid and special zinc formula. Those two main ingredients will work together to reduce the pain in your scalp and preventing dry skin and flakes to form and happening. The salicylic acid in this shampoo is about 3 %, which is the right amount (not too much not to little) to help your scalp problem as well as your hair.
The shampoo also has natural ingredients and pro-vitamin B5 to moisturize the hair so it won’t end up dry. Another special ingredient in this shampoo is its right amount Zinc Complex that is able to prevent redness and psoriasis from coming back. It is one of the most effective products to treat psoriasis problem. This shampoo plus conditioner has maximum medication without a prescription.
- It helps to stop the itchiness and flakes from forming.
- Contains natural ingredients that act as a hair moisturizer.
- Has the right amount of salicylic acid and Zinc Complex.
- Has nice smell.
- The result takes a while before you can see the change that the shampoo do to your scalp.
- You have to use it diligently and consistently for it to work. If you stop using the recommended dose, you have to start all over again right from the treatment beginning.
#5. Art Naturals Scalp 18 Shampoo
This shampoo is made with natural ingredients that are very helpful, such as lemon oils that are good for moisturizing, cypress oil to help with hydrating your hair, Argan oils that act as a soothing balm to help to reduce the itchiness and pain. The oils also give out a fresh scent which effective in giving a nice smell after lathering your hair in this shampoo. Like the previous one, this shampoo also has long-lasting effects.
- The shampoo is made with organic ingredients that are effective in fighting off psoriasis.
- Sulfate and paraben free.
- Effective to remove both flakes and underlying causes of dandruff.
- Has a nice smell.
- Coal tar, if being used regularly and often, can be linked to cancer, although there is no proof of the side effect, it is better to be careful than regretting it later.
- It is a bit more expensive than other psoriasis shampoos.
The 5 products we’ve mentioned in this article are recommended by many users. Most of the users are satisfied with their purchase as the shampoo worked well on their head. The Neutrogena and the MG217 shampoo are our favorites, but the other shampoos are also worth to try. Just choose one that fits your needs. All in all, the next time you would look for the best psoriasis shampoo, you can consider one of the products on our list here.
See also: Best Tea Tree Oil Shampoo